Saturday, June 25, 2011

Interface for 3D sound manipulation in PD

3D representation and control of the soundfield (Ambisonic in particular) was one of the topics I worked on during my studies in Music Technology. The aim of my work was to identify the optimal controller for Ambisonic sound manipulation, hence I built an interface that would let me perform certain Fitt's law experiments. Eventually it turned out to be a nice visualization tool with a lot of potential. Demo and screen shots of the interface are shown below:



Click on the pic to enlarge
The program provides visual information for:
  1. The position of the sound source.
  2. The Center factor (see Ambisonic help)
  3. The volume of the sound source.
  4. X,Y,Z visual cues
In addition the user is able to record his trajectory as shown below:

Click on the pic to enlarge
Here's the whole thing for you to dowload. In order to run it properly you need PD extended and QuickTime installed.  I have lost contact with PD since 2006, therefore I haven't tried to update my interface or fix any bugs. I am sure that some PD users might find the implementation rather chaotic but it worked fine back then. Enjoy!

0 comments: